ABOUT THIS BLOG

My name is Eliza. I live in Utah. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. When I was asked to lead the choir at our church, I felt overwhelmed and inexperienced. I wanted more online information on how to be a church choir director.

I thought I would start a blog to share my ideas. I hope I can help others not to feel overwhelmed with their assignments to lead the choir.

Saturday, October 24, 2009

A CHOIR LESSON PLAN

When I first started leading the choir, I was not sure how to organize a one hour choir practice. I decided that teaching choir was just like teaching a Sunday School lesson and should be approached in a similar way. So here is my basic outline:

1-Opening Prayer- The choir president in our ward conducts and asks people to say the prayers.

2- Attention Getters- I will try anything to get the choir's attention. I use vocal warm ups, interesting stories, an unusual hymn or a fun song.

3-Rehearse Musical Numbers- I always try to practice 1-3 musical numbers at each practice.  I practice the musical number we will singing next and then go through future numbers as time permits.  I get different people at each practice so it helps to give them some experience at singing future numbers in case they don't get back to choir practice for a few weeks.

4-Spiritual Thought- I call this my 'Choir Director' minute. I don't want to take too much time because the point of choir practice is to sing. But I do want to remind everyone about the reason that we are singing. I may use a quotation or scripture. Sometimes I express appreciation to the choir and to the piano player. I always end with bearing my testimony.

5-Closing Prayer

6-Refreshments- For fun, I sometimes bring refreshments. To keep the cost down, I only do this once a month or once every other month.

No comments:

Post a Comment